8:02 AMList of Anonymous Live CD/DVD | Go Anonymous 100 % | March 6 2010
The best way to avoid leaving traces of your computer activites on the hard disk is by using RAM memory, you can accomplish this surfing from a live CD, and if you add an anonymous proxy to that live operating system, you have a very hard to beat anonymity surfing tool.
-Incognito 2008.1-r1 Anonymous Live CD: I consider this the best anonymous live CD. Not only it has tor working out of the box with your internet browser and Internet Messenger (Pidgin). It also has Truecrypt, a MAC address changer and it can be installed on a USB memory stick as well as the hard disk.
Incognito is based on Gentoo, and if you come accross any problem using it you can ask at LinuxQuestions Incognito thread.
- Ubuntu Privacy Remix 8.04 r3 Anonymous Live CD: Ubuntu Privacy Remix is based on Ubuntu Linux and not intended for permanent installation on hard disk. The only advatadge of this CD is that it has Truecrypt with a full interface included.
NOTE: Ubuntu Privacy Remix is NOT for anonymous internet surfingsince its modified kernel ensures that no network hardware can connect to the internet. This live CD is to be used to view encrypted data.
- Privatix 9.03.15 Anonymous Live CD: Easy to use live cd it comes with tor, Firefox and Torbutton. Includes an installer to setup a Debian system with a persistent home on an encrypted usb key without much knowledge and work.
- Sabayon 4.1 Live DVD: Sabayon is a Gentoo based Linux distribution, its main target is the begginer user and it comes with lots of utilities and a nice interface. The Sabayon live DVD, available for 32bit and 64bit computers, has a choice of "Anonymous internet browsing” when it boots, you simply choose it and tor will be working by default from your internet browser.
- Stux 2.0 Live DVD: Stux is a bootableDVD based on Slackware and Knoppix. When you start Stux with the default KDE desktop, you are given a choice of login in for anonymous privacy browsing through tor and privoxy.
The root user comes with no password, any password will work when attempting to log in Stux. This is a big security no-no but easy to solve, you can set a password for the system, man passwd.
- Onion OS 080223 Anonymous Live CD: There is no official website for OnionOS, this operating system is available for download from my blog. You can also get OnionOS from torrents.
-Polippix 2.0 Beta 3 Anonymous Live CD: Polippix is based on Kubuntu and was made by the IT-Political Association of Denmark as a protest against the antiterror laws being passed in Denmark. It comes with tor for anonymous internet surfing, MAC address changer, GnuPG for encryption and driftnet for traffick sniffing.
- Estrella Roja 2.0.2 Anonymous Live CD: Estrella Roja is only available in Spanish! This Linux distribution based on Debian comes from Argentina and defines itself as a latin american project project inspired by the internationa revolution, communism, marxism and all the anticapitalist and antifascist movement.
Besides the Torbutton on Firefox for internet browsing, the Che Guevara wallpaper and some Communist songs with links to the Communist party, there is not much more going on at Estrella Roja.
UPDATE 2009: Anonymous live CD Chaox 2009.7 and Amnesia 0.3 added
- Chaox 2009.7 Anonymous Live CD: Chaox is based on Arch Linux, this means it is ideal for old hardware. Chaox target audience is PEN testers and computer forensics experts and it contains passcracking and port scanning tools as well as Truecrypt 6.1a which makes it ideal to encrypt sensitive data. You can also use Chaox as a live USB.
- Amnesia 0.3 Anonymous Live CD: Amnesia is based on Debian and it also works as a live USB, Amnesia routes all outgoing connections to the Internet through the Tor network. At the moment of writing this download only seems possible through torrents.
The main downside of using a live CD is that you will not be able to store the settings, I reccomend you choose a Linux distribution such as Incognito that comes with Truecrypt. This way you can create an encrypted partition where all settings and downloads can be stored.
If you live in a country such as the United Kingdom where you must provide your password to your encrypted data when the Government asks you for it, then create an encrypted partition with Truecrypt through the live CD, it will not be possible to proof beyond reasonable doubt that the partition is encrypted. Under forensic analysis it will look like random data, it could be a wiped partition too.
When using a live CD remember that recent laboratory research has managed to recover RAM memory under some very specific circumstances. View the Princeton University cold boot attack video for more information on this.
I have added the version number next to each linux distribution, have into account that technology evolves all the time and the information given is based on those particular versions, the latest available at the time of writting this.
I have left out of this list some other anonymous live CD that have not been updated for some considerable time such as ELE, ROCKate and TorK. If you use an old version of tor for internet browsing this may not work or it may have an unpatched vulnerability.